# Using Gondola Mobile TestBuilder
# Create or open a Gondola Test or Page Object
# Start Appium
If you're using a local appium server, you'll need to start it now.
# Starting Gondola TestBuilder
The TestBuilder button is located in the top right corner of GTD. Click it to start TestBuilder. Pressing the button again will hide TestBuilder. You can open it back up using the same button.
# TestBuilder Sessions
Each time you run the app on the Real Device or Emulator you'll need to start a session. You can create a new session or attach to an existing one.
- If you haven't opened any test or page objects with TestBuilder you'll most likely want to start a new session
- If you've already opened a TestBuilder session, you can use the attach to an existing session option. However, you'll be at the same point in the app as the previous session. If you want a fresh version of the app, you should start a new session.
TestBuilder supports only one session for all Test Designer tabs. Whenever you open a new Test Designer to use TestBuilder, you have 2 choices:
- Start a new session: this means TestBuilder will end the current session and start new session.
- Attach to an existing session: this means you will reuse the existing session. You will at the same point in the application as the session you choose.
# Starting a TestBuilder session
After starting TestBuilder the Create new session dialog will open
- In the "Select Capabilities" combobox, you can choose the capabilities file you wish to use for the session, for example
- Click "OK" to start a new session.
While your session is initializing your should the Gondola Loading graphic. After your session has initialized, you can see what's happening on your device with the Device Live Screen. You'll be able to interact with and capture the elements there.
If your Appium process is not running you'll get a Session Initialization Error
# Attaching to an existing TestBuilder session
In the "Attach to an existing session" dialog:
- In "Select a session" combobox, there is a list of existing sessionIDs, and you can choose an existing session
- Click "OK" to attach an existing session.
# Device Live Screen
# Inspection and Interaction Mode
TestBuilder has two modes for interacting with the Device Live Screen, Inspection Mode and Interaction Mode
- Inspection Mode allows you to save locators for elements and record actions for them.
- Interaction Mode allows you to interact with the Device Live Screen as if you were using your device. Your actions will not be recorded while in Interaction Mode
The default mode for TestBuilder is Inspection Mode The button is located at bottom of the device live screen:
# Inspection Mode
The default Device Live Screen mode is Inspection Mode. If the Inspection/Interaction mode button below the Device Live Screen is blue, you're in Inspection Mode . If it's not you can press it to switch to Inspection Mode
# Adding an action
Make sure in you're using Inspection Mode
- Move your mouse over a control on the Device Live Screen.
- Right-Click on it, and the Add action menu will appear
If you see a button that say
Add Locator press the switch button to get the action menu
- Page Object Mode Only : enter a name for the locator if it has not already been added
- You can click a common action or search for it using the search box
- Click on "tap" action in popup.
- TestBuilder will add the selected action to the Gondola Test Designer.
# Adding a locator
When you editing a Page Object you can add locators, there are two ways.
- By adding an action after filling in the locator name field.
- By pressing the switch button by the locator name field and selecting add locator.
If you've already defined a locator for an element, the locator name field with be filled in automatically.
# Interaction Mode
Interaction mode will register all your actions on the device, but they will not be added to your test. To switch to Interaction Mode press the Inspection/Interaction mode button. If you are in Interaction mode it will look like this
# Device Back Button (Android Only)
This is the same as pressing the back button on an Android device, however, it will not be added to your test. If you want to use the back button in a test, you should use sendDeviceKeyEvent.
# Switch Capabilities Button
Sometimes while working on a test you'll want to switch your capabilities file to work with a different device or OS version. You use the switch capabilities button. Pressing it will bring up the TestBuilder session menu. From here you can attach to an existing session or create a new one.
# Information Panel
Sometimes you'll need more information to find the best locator for an element. The Information Panel provides an hierarchal XML Tree View of your app, known as the Locator Tree View, and shows the properties of a selected element. You can open and close the Information Panel by click the button located next to the TestBuilder icon in the top right of the screen, or using the Keyboard Shortcut CTRL + L . When you click on an element in Inspection Mode you can see it's the location in the tree and it's properties.
# Locator Tree View